Sunday, November 16, 2014

Medicine

So many things have happened lately that make it abundantly clear to me that our medical policies and system are so screwed up. Additionally, the way doctor's treat illness sucks. Gil keeps getting yanked around about physical therapy (insurance b.s.). Beth's mom is being yanked around about her rehab after suffering a stroke during a quadruple bypass (insurance b.s.). My mom had one procedure done this week that is required so she may or may not have another procedure done. And, with regard to another health issue, she is being told to wait until the blockage in her left carotid gets worse to have surgery, it's only significantly blocked but not 80% blocked which is the tipping point for the surgical insertion of a stint. My mom even said she hopes it won't get worse. Since that sounded like a statement that was based in denial I talked to her about changing her diet more. I think it may have worked. I was just appalled that the doctor said it's not bad enough for surgery yet...Why not try to avoid surgery with some behavioral changes. She needs a lifestyle adjustment.

No comments:

Post a Comment