Sunday, June 22, 2014

James' MANglish Translation 8

There are several statements men make in their online profiles which I found weird and not something I would ever say about myself so I asked James about them. Most men say they are; I'm easy going, I'm intelligent, I'm attractive, and I've been very fortunate. James said like me he would not make those statements about himself. He said for him if he told someone he is easy going it would mean he's lazy and doesn't want any honey do lists. He said he could not imagine telling a woman he's intelligent but if he did it would really mean that he's insecure about his intelligence. James said he'd never tell a woman he's attractive it's just no this personality so he doesn't know what that means. I told him that many if not most of the men who say they're attractive are not by normal standards and especially not my standards since I am a little too picky in that area (I'm working on being less superficial). Last, I told James that many men say they have been very fortunate and then talk about how much they travel or that they've managed to retire early and they have plenty of time to spend with some lucky lady. James said he would not ever say he has been fortunate in a profile but if he did he would say he has been very fortunate to have such wonderful friends and family. I thought that was so sweet and what really counts is the people in your life and the love you give to them.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with most of what James said but I totally disagree with "Easy Going" being the same as "Lazy". Some one (including me!) that is "Easy Going" simply means that we are easy to get along with and aren't pushy, or arrogant. This in no way can be tied to our work ethic. I for one have always been "Easy Going" and I work like dog all the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope easy going means easy to get along with.

      Delete