Sunday, May 10, 2015

Professions

Gil said her daughter told her she would not date a server at the restaurant where she works. Gil said that sounds like something the people on her father's side of the family would say. She said her late father would probably refuse to talk to her if she was still a bartender. Gil said her family was snooty like that. I told her that the last guy I went out with told me that he would not date a waitress, knowing that I was a waitress for 30 years and that's how I had supported myself and raised a child by myself. Though he had been married to a woman for 20 years who didn't work and said she didn't want to be a mother. I found it very insulting. I figured it was some passive aggressive insult since he was sort of snippy for no reason occasionally maybe he really hated me. Gil said she found it insulting when people act like she or I are beneath them though we raised kids all by ourselves (and were good at it) because of our professions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment