Saturday, June 13, 2015

Mary Ellen Mark

Yesterday, I collected my mail. As I was reading my Time magazine, I noticed a picture of Tiny. It was taken by Mary Ellen Mark. She made a documentary with Martin Bell telling the story of Tiny an other homeless in Seattle. Fortunately for me, I took a photography class with Mary Ellen Mark when I was an undergrad at the University of Oklahoma. It was one of the highlights of my life. She was honest at her core and it came across in her work and she was one of the most respectful people I have ever met and I have met a lot of people since I was in the hospitality industry for 30 years. I adored her and admired her perspective. Seeing the picture of Tiny made wonder why it was in Time so I started reading the blurb to find that Mary Ellen Mark passed recently. I was stunned. She was someone I saw as eternal, like her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment