Sunday, October 26, 2014

My adopted son

Jose, who is my adopted son, asked me what it is I like about him. He started out with, "Can I ask you something?" and I asked, "Is this a SHEnglish question?" and he said, "Yes." I told him that when we talk he is sincere. He's not trying to get me to like him. H just acts like himself. He has the same core values as me; he doesn't lie to me or try to steal from anyone and he values his family and his relationships. When we talk he is not trying to impress me or make false impressions of himself. Many times when a guy is on a date with me or talking to me and we're trying to get to know each other, the guy comes off as some kind of ego maniac or full of himself and he certainly seems more concerned with what I think of him than in being sincere. I have had many men lie to me about things that were mostly not worth lying about and in most cases the truth would have been a better an more believable story. I don't know why men do that. It usually makes me suspicious of the man later. When a man lies to me I never know if I can believe anything he says after that because I know he is capable of lying. And I always feel like the man is not sincere with me when he lies and I feel like I have been discounted as some judgmental, superficial bitch when a man thinks he can't trust me with the truth. My girlfriend, Ronni, thinks that says more about the man tan me but that's another story. I told Jose just be himself because people can tell when you're not being sincere. Also, Ronni and I have had the same experience over and over again. When you're friends with someone the person accepts you and many times our men friends have fallen for us but our common thread with our male friendships end there. She has slept with many of her male friends and it got weird. I have not. I have dated one of male friends only. And after 27 years of friendship the dynamic did change and our friendship has not been the same so I have not dated one of my long time male friends since. It was not worth the loss and longing to me. But overall I think when someone see you for who you are how could the person feel anything but love. And feel very fortunate to have glimpsed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment